Last Updated on June 21, 2023 by J.SCALCO
It is difficult to pinpoint exactly why we had such good music from 2014, since everyone’s tastes vary. Nevertheless, there were a few elements that could have played a part in the profusion of wonderful music in 2014:
- Variety of Genres: From pop and R&B to indie rock and electronic dance music, 2014 witnessed a wide range of musical genres emerge to become popular and influential. This allowed for a greater variety of styles and sounds to be explored and celebrated.
- Emergence of Skilled Artists: Many of the musicians that achieved breakthrough success in 2014 possessed extraordinary musical and lyrical talent. These performers, including Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, and Hozier, gave their respective genres a new perspective and captivated audiences with their stirring performances and accessible lyrics.
- Collaborations and Crossovers: Many artists from different genres collaborated in 2014, such as Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars on “Uptown Funk” and Disclosure and Sam Smith on “Latch.” These collaborations aided in the blurring of musical genre lines and the creation of new, exciting sounds.
- Social Media and Streaming Services: The popularity of social media and streaming services like Spotify and YouTube has increased the visibility of up-and-coming artists, providing them the possibility to connect with a larger audience and build a fan base. This aided in elevating fresh and varied voices in 2014’s music landscape.
Good Music from 2014 - Ten Classics
10. "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne
This catchy dance-pop song features a sick violin melody and Glynne’s soulful vocals.
9. "Latch" by Disclosure ft. Sam Smith
This electronic dance track features Sam Smith’s amazing vocals and an infectious beat.
8. "Happy" by Pharrell Williams
This upbeat, feel-good song was everywhere in 2014, with its unforgettable melody and positive message.
7. "Take Me to Church" by Hozier
This bluesy, gospel-inspired track was a breakout hit for Hozier, with its commanding vocals and provocative lyrics.
6. "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
This upbeat pop song became a massive hit in 2014, with its nice melody and body-positive message.
5. "Stay with Me" by Sam Smith
This soulful ballad showcased Smith’s powerful voice and became one of the biggest hits of the year.
4. "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift
This infectious pop song marked a new era for Swift, as she shed her country roots and embraced a more pop-oriented sound.
3. "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran
This romantic ballad became an instant classic, with its heartfelt lyrics and Sheeran’s soulful vocals.
2. "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
This funky, disco-inspired track was one of the biggest hits of 2014 and still gets people dancing today.
1. "Chandelier" by Sia
This haunting pop song features Sia’s signature vocals and powerful lyrics about addiction and self-destruction.
Good Music From 2014 Playlist on Spotify
Good Music From 2014 - Honorable Mentions
- “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj
- “Riptide” by Vance Joy
- “Team” by Lorde
- “Stay High” by Tove Lo ft. Hippie Sabotage
- “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift
- “A Sky Full of Stars” by Coldplay